It's time to improve your songwriting skill with these great tips.
Below is a list of the basic skills you need as a songwriter/musician. Don't be disheartened if you feel like you're lacking in some of the areas, every skill can be improved with a bit practice and perserverance.
- Ear Training - An important skill for the songwriter to have is a good ear for music and contrary to popular belief this is a skill which CAN be developed with practice. I don't mean you have to have perfect pitch or anything just try to get a better understanding of notes and their relationships to each other. If you're looking for a great way to develop your ear just start off simple. Try to pick out the chords to your favourite songs on the radio. This takes time but with practice you will get better, trust me.
- Learn An Instrument - To be a songwriter you don't necessarily need to be able to play an instrument (many songwriters work with a musician and verbally or melodically try to express what it is they want) but the benefits of being able to play an instrument will stand to you in your songwriting.
- Increase Your Vocabulary - People get very bored, very quickly if you keep using the same words repeatedly in your songs. The simple solution is to expand your vocabulary by reading as much as possible!
- Stay Current - Being "current" is one of the best songwriting skills you can have if you want to be a commercially successful songwriter. If you write songs that are similar to the ones that are "hot" at the moment you will find it a lot easier to sell them. Listen to the radio and ask yourself these questions:
- What's the songs structure?
- What's the tempo? Does it change during the song?
- Are chord progressions used or is it mainly riffs?
- What types of instruments are used? (synths, guitars, drums, digital beats etc...)
- What kinds of chords are used? i.e. are they simple major/minor chords are more complex chords such as 7ths, 9ths etc...
- Creativity - Being a creative person is obviously a songwriting skill that every songwriter needs.
- Practice/Study - You should be practicing/studying/writing/listening to music everyday and at every chance you get.
- Deep Understanding Of Different Musical Styles - As a songwriter you should listen to as many different styles of music as possible and also experiment writing songs in each. This will give you a better understanding of the major characteristics of each.