How To Get Inspiration To Write A Song
So you want to know how to get inspiration to write a song? Well you need look no more; the answers on how to get inspiration are here.
How to get inspiration to write a song is a common problem many songwriters face at some point in their life, thankfully though, I have the solutions.
Now, don't get me wrong, it's not just as simple as turning on a switch but there certainly are a few things you can do to help get inspired.
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." - Jack London
How To Get Inspiration To Write A Song Tips
- Listen To Music - Listen to as much music as you can and don't be afraid to try new genres and styles.
- Read - Read books, magazines, blogs, articles etc...
- Freewrite - Just write without thinking, this is great for accessing the sub-conscious, releasing thoughts and feelings you never knew existed.
- Keep A Journal - Looking back over journal entries can be a great source for song ideas.
- Watch Movies/TV Shows - Sometimes, while watching a movie, a character will say something so interesting that I'll say, "That would make a great title for a song" or "I have to use that in a lyric". Other times the amazing cinematography might inspire you.
- Old Photos - Look through some old photographs and reignite memories.
- Noodle On An Instrument - Pick up your instrument and just start playing. Don't think about what you're playing and just see what comes out.
- Activate The Brain - I get my best ideas most often while running. There's something about the quietness, combined with the increased flow of blood through your brain, combined with being out in the fresh air with nature, that really stimulates the mind.
- Play Other Peoples Songs - Learn to play your favorite bands songs and then mix around the chords to come up with your own songs.
- Go Out - Get out and experience the world; go for a walk, look at nature, visit new towns and meet new people.
As you can see songwriting ideas are all around you, you just have to be open to receive them. So next time you're pondering how to get inspired to write a song just open your eyes and more importantly your ears. I mean really open them. Inspiration is probably right in front of you!